Wednesday, September 18, 2013

September 28, 1938 + Snow White movie review





September 28, 1938
Tuesday eve.

Dear Carolyn,
                Two letters in one day – it sorta skeered me – at first – was afraid something had gone wrong.  Suppose you got box today – I hope the dresses weren’t messed very badly – perhaps most of wrinkles would hang out.  If you hang long one thin – a hanger – you should have a pants pasteboard to use – so wire won’t make such a sharp crease.  I took another good look for films and still I don’t find them.  Did you send them to anyone for prints?
                I haven’t seen Ethel since you left – Mr. Brandt was Bill’s father – don’t you read the Reg (Dearborn County Register)?
                Dad says to go ahead and get the Latin dictionary if you’ll need one later on.  Dad is going to med meeting Thurs. night, didn’t I tell you?  He would. Beth is planning to go to a double header ball game in Lawrenceburg that evening and I don’t especially hanker for the detour drive – Amanda doesn’t either – soo – you needn’t send ‘em any card – unless you want to.  Georgia’s dress will be gold color.
                The radio works fairly good now on some of local stations, but nothing extra.  Lots of exciting news etc.  Our own hurricane soon was replaced in the headlines.  No – I haven’t heard from the Bostonians since the storm.
                The pencils all work nicely, the tiny ones are coming.  It would have been nice to take it to her, but it doesn’t matter.  It would also have been fine if you had asked Elvie over last week end – why didn’t you think of it!  Too bad – was surprised that you got such a letter from Rowena H.  just suppose she has her own money to use now and thinks she would have a “swell” time at D.P.U. for a week end.  I wouldn’t worry any about her!  Just tell her you have most of week ends planned – for some time to come – if anything turns up that you think would interest her you would let her know.  Sounds like queer advice from Rowena – or was it in jest?  “education interfering with social activities.”
                Thanksgiving dinner is at George’s this year.  I’m wondering if Georgia met Ernie when she was at D.P.U.?  That seems now to be the best time to have her and I imagine she would rather come at that time.
                Beth, Amanda and I went to see “Snow White” last night.  Some show for little kids – I must say!  Several mothers took their little ones out.  I don’t know yet whether I liked it or not.  It’s so fantastic and unreal.  Some folks round about wept, screamed and laughed so hard – but to me it fell flat – with not a drop of real feeling in it.  Wonderful of course that things could be done like that – but?!  In places things were kinda cute, for instance the two little bluebirds that made the marks on pie crust [drawing on original letter] and sifted the flour from it’s tail.  Perhaps it was my cold and I wasn’t in the mood.  It’s better thank you.
                Beth says Bob K. is alright but he’s kinda crazy.  Our Donnie told her he was going to ask her to go to ball game too.  Might if they hadn’t called it off.  He walks over after school and goes home with his Dad.  Mr. and Mrs. Mahler walked in this evening and stayed an hour or two.  Was surprised to see her.  She seems to be gaining a little – Dad says pulse was fast. 
                Bailey’s brought Warren over today – trouble with his side.  They took him in to Christ’s [Hospital in Cincinnati] for blood count etc. but for some reason didn’t  see any doctors and they brought him back home – will see how he is tomorrow.
                I found a large copper cent while digging behind the barn Sat – fine specimen and dated 1832.  Beth and Dad are both feeling better.  I don’t think he ever had as bad a dead cold – its lasting so long – B’s wasn’t very bad -  not like she usually has.  I have been feeling ornery anyhow and with cold too!!  I think the shots have kept it from being very bad.
                Was rather surprised that Mabel called everyone out there had colds but she just had a little – not bad at all.  Nite nite, honey lamb.  Thread on bow was to use if snaps had t or changed on the end.  Pin the bow in place on front of dress.  So it can’t slide around.  Hope you and knees are OK.
                                                                                Love,
                                                                                Mother

[On margins]: B. got card from Taylor gang – homeward bound but are going through Texas and stopping several places.

--------------------------------
A couple comments on this one:  I love the little drawing that Great-grandmother Nelle puts into the original letter when talking about the birds in Snow White making a pie crust.  Little details like that are why I am including the original scanned letters.  Also, note that the paragraph after the movie review is about Beth's (my grandmother's) suitors.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, 1938-39 is the year she started dating Grandad, but not quite yet:)  Although, the "Taylor gang" mentioned includes Grandad's siblings, I believe.  My grandparents' families were both early settlers of the Dearborn County, and were friends/churchmates all of their lives.




1 comment:

Special K said...

love the movie review!