Wednesday, September 25, 2013

One Room Schoolhouse

     

      Did you know there were still one room schoolhouses in 1940?  I didn't, until I found these pictures today.  My Grandad Roger was a teacher at the Weisberg School for the 1939-1940 school year, and served at other schools prior to that.  From the letters I have been posting here recently, I know that he started dating my grandmother Beth around the fall of 1938. So, they must have had a long distance relationship during 1939-1940, as she was away at her first year at Purdue University.  He must have had some interesting stories to tell about his days teaching at the school.  I will have to see if I can find any letters or stories in his papers.


     This picture is titled My Girls.  Perhaps the teacher's pets, or maybe just the only girls in class.  From left to right: Joyce Fassold, Martena Hill, Pearl Woliung, Alvera Klemme, Ruby Woliung, Lena Eddington, and Rosalee Fagin. I recognize the name Woliung  - perhaps old family friends or relatives.  I wonder if any of these ladies is still living around Dearborn County, Indiana.  It would be wonderful to hear their stories of going to school in the one room schoolhouse in Weisberg.  This particular school reminds me of Cross School in Martinsville, Indiana where I grew up.


No comments: